[kaffe] Future directions for Kaffe

Guilhem Lavaux guilhem at kaffe.org
Mon Mar 26 14:11:39 PDT 2007

Hi Jim !

Kaffe has been quite dormant these weeks and it is also probably my
fault. I am just damn busy with ph.d work.

* I like Kaffe because it has helped me learn a lot of things from
computers without hurting me too much by looking at large project. Also
I guess kaffe can still be easily ported to other architecture.

* I have a partly working new jit3-v2.0 which is able to cope with 64
bits arch. AMD64 is still giving some failures in the test suite
(something like 30 failures for 160 tests). I will update the other jit3
 when I have this one working. I hope to anyway check it in CVS after
the next release.

* AWT needs some work. I have not had time to check by myself but
Riccardo reported there was problems running it. It will also be great
to finish porting our X native peerless AWT to make it work with
Classpath's "Swing" toolkit.

* On the hosting part, I am fairly open. Having a personnal webserver
has certainly its advantages but sourceforge.net, savannah ... may
handle cvs/svn directly in a more efficient way. I would vote to keep
our webserver for testing purpose though (running qemu-vm, having a
tinderbox...) and maybe the handling of webserver.

Cheers,

Guilhem.