[kaffe] Unable to run Kaffe 1.1.7 on PowerPC

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Tue Apr 4 20:21:43 PDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-30 at 16:05 +0200, Jesper Larsen wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I am working on getting Kaffe 1.1.7 to run on an embedded PowerPC
> platform with uClibc 0.9.27 and gcc 3.4.2.

> (I am quite sure all libraries have been compiled with -fPIC.)
> Pursuing the error, I find that the problem is with
> kaffe/kaffevm/jit3/trampolines.S which assembles into .libs/trampolines.o:

The jitter is not finished yet on ppc, so you should chose the
--with-engine=intrp option in configure. Of course, help with the jitter
would be great, too ;)

> Any ideas how to solve this problem?

If you want to work on the jit on uClibc, you'd have to define the
symbol and use it as PIC in the assembler code in the trampolines
sources. I guess you could compile a C test program with PIC and see
what the assembler code looks like in that case and work from there.