[kaffe] Jikes Vs Kopi JC

Michael Koch konqueror at gmx.de
Sat Apr 9 08:50:51 PDT 2005

On Sat, Apr 09, 2005 at 10:57:15AM -0500, Gustavo Guillermo Pérez wrote:
> Hello, I was reading the licens of Jikes and I see is not GNU/GPL, why is the
> default compiler for the classpath instead of Kopi Java Compiler, I noted
> that javac is pointing to jikes and I don't want to mix this kind of
> licences.

Wrong: GNU classpath's default compiler is GCJ.

> I try to use kcj with an earlier compiled kaffe binary but hangs class
> compilation, and I noticed the build process finish a lot faster than before
> with jikes.

Jikes is free. Just not GPL. That is no problem. Much good software is
free but not GPL, see the BSD and Apache licenses.

> There is any problem with kcj, that makes forcing the use of jikes?
> Which are the advantages?

- KJC is full of bugs, much more then jikes.

- KJC was included in kaffe as binary blob which is a no-no for distributions
  like Debian.

You are free to work on KJC to make it better and to include it as
source in kaffe.

Michael