[kaffe] Failed to locate native library "libnative"

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Wed Oct 6 09:13:16 PDT 2004

Dave Littrell wrote:
Hi Dave,

> This is the system I'm running:
> ------------------------------
> bash-2.05b# uname -a
> OpenBSD ghost.austin.rr.com 3.5 GENERIC#34 i386

Nice, OpenBSD!

> ...And this is what we're working with:
> ---------------------------------------
> bash-2.05b# kaffe -fullversion
> Kaffe Virtual Machine
> Copyright (c) 1996-2000
> Transvirtual Technologies, Inc.  All rights reserved
> Engine: Just-in-time v3   Version: 1.0.6   Java Version: 1.1

wow, that's ... three years old, I believe. :)

> This is the problem:
> -------------------
> bash-2.05b# javac
> Failed to locate native library "libnative" in path:
>         /usr/local/lib/kaffe:/usr/local/lib
> Aborting.
> bash-2.05b#
>
> sure looks like it's there:
> -------------------------
> bash-2.05b# locate libnative
> /usr/local/lib/kaffe/libnative.a
> /usr/local/lib/kaffe/libnative.la
> bash-2.05b#

Old versions of Libtool and OpenBSD did not go along very well. Try
Kaffe 1.1.4, that one has a more up-to-date libltdl.

> I even tried copying libnative.a to /usr/local/libnative.a
> No dice.

Yeah. It took a while for libtool to improve support of OpenBSD,
unfortunately.

> Clearly, I am doing something dumb, but I don't know what it is.
>
> Suggestions? Flames? Haiku?

try 1.1.4. If you want to live on the bleeding edge of Swing coolness,
try the CVS head. Hands-on help is avalaible on #kaffe on
irc.freenode.org :)

I'd be miserable at writing haikus, and I'm saving my flames for
software licensing discussions. :)