[kaffe] Kaffe on StronARM, GTK-AWT

Nils Faerber nils at kernelconcepts.de
Tue Nov 16 10:01:21 PST 2004

[ Oh please, I am not subscribed to the Kaffe list (too many lists
already), so please put me on CC if you should reply, thanks! ]

Hi all!
First of all I would like to thank you for your great effort of
maintaining and developing Kaffe even after Transvirtual's - hum -
death ;) It is a good feeling to have a decent open source JVM at hand!

And even nicer was what I learned just a few days before, that Kaffe now
has a GTK-AWT backend! That's what I was looking for for a very long
time now. I want to make Kaffe the JVM for our GPE project you might
already know (see http://gpe.handhelds.org ) which uses X11/GTK+ for its
GUI.

So I went and checked out the latest CVS snapshot and built a first
version on our old CATS board natively (a 200MHz StrongARM SA110
machine). AFAIK the default config uses the JIT engine. After building
the JVM the build process tries to parse some Java code (sorry, I do not
know Java very well) and upon first invocation of lt-kaffe-bin it fails
and causes a kernel "unhandled page fault", very strange.

So I went and tried other engines, jit3 and intrp. Jit3 did not even
work to configure - it seems that this is no longer supported by Kaffe,
right?
The intrp engine finally worked! Though quite slow ;)

But hey! Here we are with a working JVM on handheld devices like iPaq
and we have a GTK-AWT on top! What else do we want to be en-vogue :) ?

So basically my email is because
1. I wanted to let you know and thank you!
2. If anyone has an idea what might be wrong with the JIT please let me
know.
3. To ask if you would mind the GPE project adopting Kaffe as its JVM?
This would simply mean that we would build an installable package and
would try to integrate it nicely with GPE...

Thanks for your effort!

CU
  nils faerber

--
kernel concepts          Tel: +49-271-771091-12
Dreisbachstr. 24         Fax: +49-271-771091-19