[kaffe] Debian buildd results

Arnaud Vandyck arnaud.vandyck at ulg.ac.be
Tue Mar 2 06:22:02 PST 2004

Dalibor Topic <robilad at kaffe.org> writes:

> Salut Arnaud,

Yo!

> Arnaud Vandyck wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> Here is a list of url where you can find the logs of the Debian
>> buildd. It seems kaffe 1.1.4 only build on x86 and powerpc at the
>> moment. Maybe these logs will help you to debug and improve.
>
> They look very useful to me, thanks a lot for posting them.

No problem, I'd like to have a JDK on every Debian arches ;-)

> I hope to fix most of the warnings this week.

Great!

> Would it be possible to create an experimental kaffe package and run
> it through buildd afterwards?

No. Experimental does not have buildd ATM. There are two things I can
do:

o make a cvs checkout (if you tell me there has not been changes that
  can break kaffe). And release a kaffe-cvs-snapshot as it was a new
  upstream release.

o download the patches and put them in the debian/patches directory so
  the Debian build system will patch the release to have it build.

>> I'd like to know if you have plan for the ports? If it's gonna be
>> resolved soon, I don't do anything. If not, I can ask to remove kaffe
>> on these architectures at the moment.
>
> My plan is to fix the warnings pointed out by the compiler, and then
> attempt to debug the failures, given access to the platforms.

OK.

>> Do you think 1.1.5 or 1.1.6 will be able to build on these arch?
>
> Hopefully yes. Depending on jikes for the build would be a
> workaround.

I don't like this work around. I'd prefer kaffe to ubild the class
library. ;-)

> Doing what SableVM does, and splitting off the class-library as
> architecture independant would be another workaround, if we don't get
> it to work for 1.1.5/1.1.6. Though it'd feel a little bit like
> cheating, since building kaffe's class library with itself is a good
> stress test, as Riccardo's build logs show.

I think it's a good proof of kaffe working very well.

My Debian plan to have kaffe in the next Debian (stable) release (kaffe
dev team, tell me what you think about it):

1° tell the debian package that kaffe can only build on i386 and
   powerpc;

2° ask our ftp-masters to remove other arches and only leave i386 and
   powerpc on our ftp servers;

3° close every bugs related to non i386 and powerpc arches.

If I do this, and no 'critical bug' is filed against kaffe since 10
days, kaffe will go to testing. If kaffe is in testing, and no 'critical
bug' is filed against kaffe in testing, kaffe will be in the next stable
release of Debian.

As soon as kaffe will be in testing, I can tell the debian package that
kaffe is for *any* arch (that way, every buildd will try to package it)
and we'll be able to re-try to build kaffe on our buildd system.

Please tell what you think about it.

Also, note that I'm not the official kaffe maintainer in Debian so I
cannot change the way it is built. I have to discuss with the official
maintainer but he is very busy and it can take a long time.

Thanks to give me a feedback asap,

Cheers,

- --
Arnaud