[kaffe] State of the Verifier

Timothy Stack stack at cs.utah.edu
Fri Jul 18 13:41:01 PDT 2003

> Hi all,

hi,

> Seeing as people would like to see 1.1.1 released, and as Jim is waiting
> for (among other things) me to submit the final verifier, I figured I'd
> give a quick update as to where I stand before I head out for the weekend
> to play frisbee on the beach :)
>
> In short, once I rewrite the class instance creation stuff to be
> compatible with the pass 3/pass 4 boundary, I'll post the verifier.  Early
> next week.
>
> * Need to Rewrite Class Loading
>     I've been frantically debugging the verifier in the last week against
>     the regression tests and other programs.  It turns out that I'm going
>     to have to rewrite some of the class instance creation code in the
>     core vm to allow type checking without class loading to occur.

Are you talking about things like the following in code-analyse.c:

	if (getField(WORD(pc+1), meth->class, false, &finfo, einfo) == 0) {
		failed = true;
		goto done;
	}

If so, the JanosVM already has many of the necessary changes, please
pull/reference that code.  Also, dropping loading at this point means you
have to find another place to load the classes.  You can't do it while
jitting because of locking issues (the jitter isn't reentrant so you
can't compile a user class loader).  So you have to do it between
verification and jitting or do it in the jitted code (JanosVM does the
latter).

If not, please elaborate...  a lot

> Cheers,
> Rob