[kaffe] Re: Upgrading autotools requirements to a more recent version

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Fri Jan 24 09:33:01 PST 2003

Dalibor Topic wrote:
> I'd like to do another round of asking who's using
> what version of auto* tools, and if upgrading kaffe to
> use the latest versions would be desirable or cause
> problems. See this thread for the last discussion of
> the issues involved:
> http://www.kaffe.org/pipermail/kaffe/2002-December/028418.html

Which essentially said "You'll annoy a lot of people, so better
have a good reason".

> I'd like to raise the discussion again, because
> a) Pat has 'leaped ahead' of automake 1.4 and autoconf
> 2.13 on his system.
> b) Dan has been using latest auto* tools for a while
> (and libtool from CVS) without much problems.
> c) Tim doesn't like to mess with auto* tools :)
> d) I'd prefer to use the latest & greatest autotools
> for a few reasons, one of them being able to merge
> Dan's libtool-from-CVS patch.

IMHO you should wait until libtool does their next release
(since that'll be the first release of libtool that
works well for cross-compiling), then go for it.
And go talk to the libtool folks, explaining that you're waiting.

Cross-compiling is important because of the growing number
of Linux PDA's, cellphones, and embedded systems, all of which
sometimes need Java, and because Kaffe is one of
the few free JVM's.
- Dan

--
Dan Kegel