[kaffe] tuning kaffe to do well on volanomark in embedded systems?

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Thu Jan 2 13:33:10 PST 2003

Dan Kegel wrote:
>>> I just built kaffe-1.0.7 updated to cvs libtools (see my previous post)
>>> to run on a PPC750 linux embedded system with 128MB of RAM.
>>> ...  Any suggestions for how to speed up and trim down
>>> kaffe?
>> http://www.kaffe.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/kaffe/FAQ/FAQ.embedded

Hmm.  I've rerun volanomark under more controlled conditions,
and it looks like 7 rooms is as high as I can go in 100MB with
kaffe-1.0.7, with or without the above tuning instructions
(they do speed up kaffe, but don't reduce RAM requirements, it seems).

BTW, I installed only the JRE portion of the result of 'make install'.
It would be very handy if there were a 'make jre-install' target.
Also, note that the jre/bin/java wrapper won't work if only the jre
is present; it needs to be rewritten a bit to not refer to files outside jre.

I am having an interesting problem.  If I ^C the jvm running the
volanomark client after about ten seconds, the jvm running the
volanomark server will abort (possibly due to the oom killer, not sure).
I tried running kaffe under gdbserver, but it dies as soon as I let
the program run.  Here's a log of the gdb side:

dank at dank:~/wk/ixos/dap/linux/3rdParty/kaffe/ppc750/kaffe/kaffe/.libs$
/opt/hardhat/devkit/ppc/7xx/bin/ppc_7xx-gdb kaffe-bin
GNU gdb 5.0 ...
This GDB was configured as "--host=i686-pc-linux-gnu --target=powerpc-hardhat-linux"...
(gdb) target remote 11.0.1.1:1234
Remote debugging using 11.0.1.1:1234
0x30013308 in ?? ()
(gdb) cont
Continuing.

Program received signal SIGLOST, Resource lost.
0xfe4d53c in ?? ()

Probably this is a bug in the June 2002 snapshot of gdb I'm using...
I'll try again with gdb-5.3.
- Dan

--
Dan Kegel