[kaffe] memory leak in jit3 ?

Dalibor Topic robilad at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 29 07:03:42 PST 2002

Hi Tim,

--- Timothy Stack <stack at cs.utah.edu> wrote:

> On Saturday, December 28, 2002, at 11:03  AM,
> Dalibor Topic wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've taken a second look at the pure java zip from
> GNU
> > Classpath.
> > I compared memory consumption using -verbosemem on
> > i386-linux with
> > jit3. I saw a big difference between jit-temp-data
> for
> > the pure java
> > zip and native zip version.
> >
> > Here are the stats for the pure java version:
> > The funny thing is that the jit-temp-data doesn't
> go
> > away after a
> > while, as the name "temp-data" implies. My
> question is
> > : how can I
> > figure out if this is a memory leak?
>
> Most of the "temp" allocations are actually kept
> around across
> runs of the jitter.  The seq/label/constpool
> infrastructure just make
> lists of objects and resize them when more are
> needed.  However,
> it does seem unlikely they would be keeping 3 megs
> of objects
> around.  So, you might want to start there and make
> sure that the
> lists aren't being broken and objects lost.  What
> test case are you
> using?

You need to apply the GNU Classpath java.util.zip
replacement patch, available at
http://www.kaffe.org/~robilad/zip-replacement-patch.tgz
and to copy the Klasses.jar.bootstrap file over the
existing copy in libraries/javalib. After installing
the patched version of kaffe, simply running its jar
tool on rt.jar as in

kaffe -verbosemem kaffe.tools.jar.Jar xvf rt.jar

should show more than 3 MB of jit-temp-data.

best regards,