[kaffe] Some obscure(?) problem...

Jukka Santala jsantala at tml.hut.fi
Wed Apr 24 04:45:56 PDT 2002

On Wed, 24 Apr 2002, Dalibor Topic wrote:
> While you are at it, you might want to take a look at
> xprof patches from Janos VM at
> http://www.cs.utah.edu/flux/janos/downloads/kaffe_kaffe_xprof.diff.gz
> They might help.

Thanks, I'd forgotten about that. The patch seems to contain a whole lot
of useful changes, but...

/*
 * Unfortunately, I can't get linux to export a symbol to the gmonparam
 * structure (it doesn't link for some reason)...  So we can't get any
early
 * recordings.
 */
static inline struct gmonparam *getGmonParam(void)
{
        return 0;
}

So I guess I'm not the only one with that problem :) However, I played
around with this earlier, and it appears if you link to the profiling
C-library (-lc_p) instead of the standard C library you can use gmonparam.
Unfortunately, I couldn't quickly find the correct combination of startup
modules etc. (or more likely there isn't one) and the resulting code
became rather unstable, crashing on exit code at the very least. It sounds
like a job for the libc people, but I thought I'd drop that observation
along at least.

We have a major release (For XSmiles) scheduled at the end of this week,
so I'm having trouble deciding what to dedicate my resources on, but I'll
try to look at the rest of the patch in case it has anything useful for
debugging the code.

 -Jukka Santala