Problem finding libraries (an attempt at OJI for Kaffe/Mozilla)...

James kaffe@rufus.w3.org
Thu, 29 Jun 2000 16:04:41 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0054_01BFE1E3.BBA287C0

This is probably a simple problem to solve, but I'm new to Kaffe.

I have the Kaffe JVM v1.0.5 running on Linux 2.2.15.  I have been =
tinkering with creating an OJI plugin for Mozilla (M16) that supports =
Kaffe.  To see some signs of life, I wrote a small stand alone program =
that takes an URL, instantiates the JVM, obtains an AppletViewer class =
and provides the URL to that class.  It works great, and displays the =
applet in a little popup window.

To get it to run on my machine however, I have to set the following =
environment variable:

export KAFFELIBRARYPATH=3D/usr/local/lib/kaffe

Even though the Kaffe documentation says I shouldn't have to change any =
environment variables, I had to set the above or it complained that it =
could not find 'libnative'.

Now, when I modified my stand alone executable to load as a plugin in =
Mozilla, I get an error stating that Kaffe can't open 'io' (it throws up =
a big list of exceptions, with the call to load the 'io' library being =
the cause) when I try and call JNI_CreateJavaVM().  I scanned my system =
and libio.so is placed in the /usr/local/lib/kaffe.  I added that path =
to my ld.so.conf and reran 'ldconfig'.  My stand alone program still =
works great; I can't figure out why it won't run within Mozilla.

Any ideas?  Is anyone else (or has anyone else) done any work on an OJI =
plugin for Kaffe?

Thanks,
James Ketrenos
ketrenoj@austin.rr.com

------=_NextPart_000_0054_01BFE1E3.BBA287C0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>This is probably a simple problem to solve, but I'm =
new to=20
Kaffe.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I have the Kaffe JVM v1.0.5 running on Linux =
2.2.15.&nbsp; I=20
have been tinkering with creating an OJI plugin for Mozilla (M16) that =
supports=20
Kaffe.&nbsp; To see some signs of life, I wrote a small stand alone =
program that=20
takes an URL, instantiates the JVM, obtains an AppletViewer class and =
provides=20
the URL to that class.&nbsp; It works great, and displays the applet =
in&nbsp;a=20
little popup window.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>To&nbsp;get it to run on my machine however, I have =
to set the=20
following environment variable:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>export =
KAFFELIBRARYPATH=3D/usr/local/lib/kaffe</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Even though the Kaffe documentation says I shouldn't =
have to=20
change any environment variables, I had to set the above or it =
complained that=20
it could not find 'libnative'.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Now, when I modified&nbsp;my stand alone executable =
to load as=20
a plugin in Mozilla, I get an error stating that&nbsp;Kaffe =
can't&nbsp;open 'io'=20
(it throws up a big list of exceptions, with the call to load the 'io' =
library=20
being the cause) when I try and call JNI_CreateJavaVM().&nbsp; I scanned =
my=20
system and libio.so is placed in the /usr/local/lib/kaffe.&nbsp; I added =
that=20
path to my ld.so.conf and reran 'ldconfig'.&nbsp; My stand alone program =
still=20
works great; I can't figure out why it won't run within =
Mozilla.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Any ideas?&nbsp; Is anyone else (or has anyone else) =
done any=20
work on an OJI plugin for Kaffe?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Thanks,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>James Ketrenos</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"mailto:ketrenoj@austin.rr.com">ketrenoj@austin.rr.com</A></FONT><=
/DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>