Nested stack problem

Patrick Tullmann tullmann at cs.utah.edu
Wed Jul 19 16:46:48 PDT 2000

Archie Cobbs wrote:
> It might not be too hard to modify kaffe's initialization to do this,
> if that in fact would solve your problem.

We haven't done this in the past because the benefits of an
automatically growing stack (provided by the host OS) are quite
useful.  On the other hand, there are a couple hoops that the
threading systems must jump through during initialization (the first
thread is somewhat different from all the others...)

Another alternative is to run some Java code that starts a new thread
and synchronizses with the OJI glue code that started the VM:

	start_kaffe();
	wait_for_useful_thread();

Then, in the Java code, you'd have to signal back to the the thread
that started the VM that you're ready.  (Perhaps there is some
implicit synchronization already happening that you can take advantage
of.)

-Pat

Pat Tullmann                                       tullmann at cs.utah.edu
  If Gates got a dime each time Windows crashed... Oh, nevermind...