libtool-enhanced testing on HP-PA

Alexandre Oliva oliva at dcc.unicamp.br
Fri May 14 02:02:09 PDT 1999

On May 13, 1999, David Jones <dej at inode.org> wrote:

> I tried to build Kaffe on HPUX 10.20 on a PA8000 box.
> I get errors when I try to run it - the shared libraries are not found.

Which shared library isn't found?  Is it running in the build dir or
after install?  Which version/snapshot is that?  There were some
recent libtool tweaks for HPsUX (it really does! :-(, particularly for
the dlopening mechanism, after release 1.0.b4, so a snapshot may be
worth a try.

> First of all, LD_LIBRARY_PATH does not so anything; you need to set
> SHLIB_PATH on HP-UX.

Yep, but it doens't matter.  Kaffe doesn't really look at
LD_LIBRARY_PATH or SHLIB_PATH; it's only KAFFELIBRARYPATH that
matters.  You'd still be able to arrange for libkaffevm (the only
library linked into Kaffe) to be found by tweaking LD_LIBRARY_PATH or
SHLIB_PATH, but SHLIB_PATH is not searched by default on HPsUX.  It
would only be searched if the +s switch was used when creating the
executable, but libtool doesn't use this switch, in order not the
change the system's default.  Since it hard-codes the correct search
paths into the executable, this shouldn't be a problem.

> Also, libraries end in .sl instead of .so.  The objects created do
> indeed end in .sl, but I'm not convinced that the system is looking
> for them properly.

It's supposed to be.  If you don't think so, check libltdl/config.h;
it should `#define LTDL_SHLIB_EXT ".sl"'

> Since HP-UX has neither working system call tracing (at least it doesn't work
> too well on our installation at work) or "ldd"

AFAIR, HPsUX's ldd is called chatr (sp?).

> I am at a loss as to how to continue, other than to build static.

If this worked, it would already be a good start :-)

> Has the HP version been tested since the integration of libtool?

Yep, but not with success so far :-(

Only two weeks ago someone spotted and fixed a bug in libltdl that
would prevent libltdl from minimally working on HP/UX.  It's reported
to be working now (in libtool 1.3), but I don't think anyone has tried
Kaffe snapshots after my last libtool import.  I'd appreciate any
feedback.

--
Alexandre Oliva http://www.dcc.unicamp.br/~oliva IC-Unicamp, Bra[sz]il
{oliva,Alexandre.Oliva}@dcc.unicamp.br  aoliva@{acm.org,computer.org}