[Kaffe] java.io.File(Input|Output)Stream question.

Moses DeJong dejong at cs.umn.edu
Thu Feb 11 16:59:16 PST 1999

Yes, a FileNotFoundException is derived from an IOException but the
two are not interchangable. If you are writing a wrapper for the
FileReader and FileWriter you run into this problem. You can not
just throw a FileNotFoundException from your constructor because
there is no way to put a try-catch block around a super() call.
The real issue is that the IOException thrown by a FileOutputStream
seems to only happen when a FileNotFoundException could be thrown.
Am i missing something here? Is there some other kind of IOException
that could happen while opening a file for writing that would not
happen while opening a file for reading.

Mo DeJong
dejong at cs.umn.edu