Patches for Kaffe 1.0.b1

Alexandre Oliva oliva at dcc.unicamp.br
Tue Jul 14 20:00:37 PDT 1998

Hi!

Some X11-6.3p2 include file #defines calloc to something strange,
because, after applying the first hunk in the attached patch, a parse
error disappeared.  .  It is always a good idea to #include standard
files before not-so-standard ones... :-)

The second hunk fixes a build problem on SunOS 4.1.3: stdio.h does not
define size_t, that is used in jpeglib.h.  stdlib.h does, so I decided
to include it.  You might prefer to include sys/types.h, though.

The other hunks allow the location of zlib, jpeg and gmp's include
files and libraries to be specified as CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS.

After applying these patches, I was able to build Kaffe 1.0.b1 on
sparc-sun-solaris2.5, i686-pc-linux-gnu, mips-sgi-irix6.3,
mips-sgi-irix5.2 and sparc-sun-sunos4.1.3.

Additionally, on IRIX 6.3, I had to set LD="ld -n32" for Kaffe to
build with gcc (egcs 1.0.3a), but, even then, Kaffe would always crash
with the following dynamic linker error:

 7205:Kaffe: rld: Error: unresolvable symbol in /n/lang/kaffe-1.0.b1/lib/libkaffevm.so.1.00: sysdepCallMethod
 7205:Kaffe: rld: Fatal Error: this executable has unresolvable symbols

Same for IRIX 5.2.  I know it is just a matter of porting
sysdepCallMethod to MIPS, but you shouldn't claim IRIX/MIPS
compatibility if it won't run on this platform yet.  I have started
re-porting Kaffe to the MIPS platform, but I couldn't find time to
finish it yet.  After that, I"ll give `alpha' a try, but I can't
promise anything in the next few weeks. :-(

Another issue: the scripts won't work if Kaffe is not in the PATH.
One possible workaround is to modify the script so that calls
${exec_prefix}/bin/Kaffe instead of just Kaffe; another possibility is
to modify it so that it deduces the correct pathname from $0,
following soft-links and such.  What would you prefer?

I also agree that the script is the best place for setting CLASSPATH.

Yet another issue: have you ever considered using `automake' and
`libtool' in Kaffe?

One more: why were the TextEdit sources released with Kaffe 1.0.b1
not present in the latest snapshot?  Was it intentional?

--
Alexandre Oliva
mailto:oliva at dcc.unicamp.br mailto:aoliva at acm.org
http://www.dcc.unicamp.br/~oliva