Kaffe 0.8.4 not to good as appletviewer

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at minerva.link.no
Mon May 12 18:15:05 PDT 1997

Here are some info on Kaffes usability, in case you are wondering.  I
have been testing Kaffe the last versions on different architectures
(i386 Linux, alpha Linux, m68k NetBSD, SPARC Solaris) with very
different success.

v0.8.3 worked quite good on m68k NetBSD.  v0.8.4 does not work
anymore.  The error message said something about "unable to allocate
heap".  Just now I tried 0.8.4 on alpha Linux, with great success.  I
ran jbyte test-program and got a fairly good benchmark compared to
non-jit on mips Irix using JDK:

			Integer index	FP Index
alpha Linux(jit)	2.46757		1.78474
mips Irix(norm)		0.543214	0.52368
mips irix(jit)		5.9448		4.32828

Impressed with that result, I tried two of the best applets I know
(multiuser XBattle and JavaQuake) only to find this message:

	> appletviewer http://www.games.no/games/europa/
	java.lang.NullPointerException
	        at sun/applet/AppletPanel.runLoader(385)
	        at sun/applet/AppletPanel.run(204)
	        at java/lang/Thread.run(line unknown, pc 0x1203843b8)
	> appletviewer http://www.games.no/games/jquake/
	java.lang.NullPointerException
	        at sun/applet/AppletPanel.runLoader(385)
	        at sun/applet/AppletPanel.run(204)
	        at java/lang/Thread.run(line unknown, pc 0x12043e8b8)

It seem like it is still some way to go before applets work correctly.

Anyway - keep up the good work.
##>  Petter Reinholdtsen  <##  |  pere at td.org.uit.no