GC

Per Bothner bothner at cygnus.com
Fri Mar 14 12:52:10 PST 1997

> Because our object format is so different from that in kaffe, we are building
> our own JVM

You mean that the layout of an object is radically different?  Why?  How?
Something not in the general model of "some header fields common to
all objects followed by the non-static fields of the object"?

Of course the devil is the details, and the actual header fields
(including the gcInfo structure) in Kaffe are way too many.  However,
we are paring them down - I've recently sent Tim patches to remove
16 bytes from each object.  We can "easily" get rid of another 16 bytes
by reming the lock data structures from Object, as discussed earlier
in this list.

Your GC sounds cool, which is why I'd love to integrate it into Kaffe.

	--Per Bothner
Cygnus Solutions     bothner at cygnus.com     http://www.cygnus.com/~bothner