Kaffe 0.9.0 on Solaris bug

Alessandro La Ciura javex at usa.net
Thu Jun 19 17:56:06 PDT 1997

David Young wrote:

> Greetings. I've discovered what appears to be a bug in the Solaris
> 2.5.1 implementation of Kaffe 0.9.0. The following code snippet is
> from a much large application; running this class results in a
> NullPointerException:
>
> Mr. Peabody: javac -g Schtum.java
> Mr. Peabody: Kaffe Schtum
> java.lang.NullPointerException
>         at Schtum.<init>(12)
>         at Schtum.main(5)
>
> I haven't yet tried this code on Linux.
>
> ****** cut here **********
>
> public class Schtum {
>     public static void main(String argv[])
>     {
>         new Schtum();
>     }
>
>     public Schtum()
>     {
>         Class formals[] = new Class[2];
>
>         try {
>             formals[0] = Class.forName("java.lang.String");
>         } catch (ClassNotFoundException exc) {
>             System.out.println(exc);
>         }
>     }
> }
>
> ******* cut here ***********
>
> This code runs correctly with Sun's VM, on both Solaris 2.5.1 and
> Linux 2.0.30. Your help is appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> --

> David E. Young
> Fujitsu Network Communications  "I claim not to have controlled
> (d_young at fujitsu-fnc.com)        events, but confess plainly
>                                  that events have controlled me."
>                                   -- Abraham Lincoln (1864)
> "Apology is Policy"
I've got the same problem under Linux2.0.26:
I can't istanziate new objects in static methods !!

/**************************************************/
/*                   JaveXpert                    */
/*            Java Powered projects               */
/*            Alessandro La Ciura                 */
/*            javex at usa.net                       */
/*            http://javexpert.ml.org             */
/*            GSM-SMS: 0338/8173098               */
/*            Ufficio: 02/8265396                 */